My Photo

My Photo

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It's Groundhog Day-Looking forward to a smaller shadow

February 2, 2010
With the best of intentions I forgot to post last night. Probably because I went to bed at 8:30. I was exhausted. I'm covering a lot of bases, getting a lot of work done before I leave for 6 week Medical leave on March 1st.

A friend had gastric bypass yesterday at Fletcher Allen in Burlington VT. She said my struggles with weight loss inspired her to work on her own obesity. She's doing well and her surgery went off without a hitch.

Over the weekend, Scott and I donated all the unopened food we had in the house with more then 5 grams of fat. The house has no been cleansed. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in never having a food again. The truth of the matter is that there will be some foods I can't tolerate. After I heal I could have a bite or two of a food with more sugar then that, but I risk what is called dumping which essentially makes you feel like you are having a heart attack and a low blood sugar attack at the same time. This occurs because the food goes directly through your digestive system quickly. Not everyone who has RNY gastric bypass suffers from this, but many do. Those who don't get it often wish they did as it is an incentive while learning to change eating habits to not eat high sugar and high fat foods.

So, I continue to lose weight which is good. I've made many changes and I am practicing new eating and shopping behaviors. It's all good!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you donated your food! I think there is a lot to be said for the "preparing" part of things...setting yourself up for success if you will...it's the reverse of "planning" for a pig out ahead of time (which I have done many times....well thought out if you will. Nowadays I just try to get through one day at a time making wise choices and feeling good about the little things that give me a great sense of accomplishment...be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia, thanks for the comments. Ahh yes, preparation, planning, having a routine. These are all things I've struggled with my entire life. I wasn't born with the planning gene!

    Seriously though, I grew up in a household with a lot of chaos and trauma in it. Not the best conditions to learn these habits. So, I work on these daily myself. Sounds like you are doing a good job on this. These are keys in my mind to good health and to recovering from any issue, especially obesity.

    I try to donate to my local food bank at least once a week, especially during these times. There is a tendency before weight loss surgery to go into "Oh my gosh, I'll never be able to eat this or that again." So people often gain weight before surgery.

    I've kept this to a minimum and have been losing weight. It is true that there will be some foods I won't eat again, mostly because they are not t he right choices. At some point if I want to have something sweet like ice cream, I'll be able to but likely only a bite or two to prevent what is called dumping, where the food shoots straight through the system and is the side effects are very unpleasant.

    Thanks for reading and commenting. Keep up the good work on your end.

    ReplyDelete