My Photo

My Photo

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs: Food as Embedded in Culture and a Recipe

Spaghetti and Meatballs: Food as Embedded in Culture and a Recipe

Does anybody remember this little song from childhood? For no reason that song popped into my head yesterday and I kept humming or singing it all day. I think I learned this at Girl Scout camp! I’m thinking there was a reason and that is somewhere deep in my brain the thought percolated knowing that I may or may not eat pasta after my by-pass. I can have meatballs, sauce and ricotta though which will give me the taste and the protein I need.

Spaghetti with Meatballs all Covered with cheese

I lost my Dear Meatballs When Somebody Sneezed!

I promised to share some recipes for what I’ve been eating for dinner while on the first week of my prep for surgery. Here is the first, it is from the Susan Maria Leach’s book Before and After: Living and Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery

Mykonos Shrimp With Feta

WLS Portion 3 ounces. Calories 207, fat, 10 gr, carbs, 8 gr, Protein 18 grams, serves four

1 Large Onion, thinly sliced

3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, I used four

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil

One 14 ounce can Diced tomatoes, drained

½ cup white wine, I used chicken broth

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/8-teaspoon ground cinnamon

Salt and pepper

½ cup chopped parsley

11/2 lbs of large shrimp peeled and deveined. I used medium sized.

2 tomatoes, thinly sliced

¼ lb Greek Feta Cheese, rinsed, drained and crumbled.

Sauté the onion and garlic in 1 tlbs olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown, add the tomatoes, wine oregano, and cinnamon; light season with salt and pepper and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated 7-12 minutes. Stir in half the parsley and spoon the sauce evenly over the bottom of a baking dish. Sauté the shrimp in another tlbs of olive oil in a nonstick skilled over high heat until the just begin to turn pink and curl, about 2 minutes. Arrange the shrimp on top of the sauce in the baking dish. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes and then feta; drizzle with the remaining olive oil and a few grinds of black pepper. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling/ Turn the broiler to high and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Garnish with the remaining parsley and serve immediately. Serve with a salad and crusty bread and you are good to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment