My Photo

My Photo

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mourning and Food

There is no question the first three weeks on the Stage II Diet of liquids and very soft foods is tough. My husband of course continues to eat normally. I know it is hard for him to watch me go through this, but we both prepared for this emotionally.

I find myself observing some of the things he eats like ice cream and I find myself noting the following "I'm okay with the fact that I won't eat a full serving of regular ice cream again. I can have a bite or two, but I won't take it further. To do so is slippery slope. I can have fat free or sugar free ice cream, yogurt, sorbet etc.

The good news is I am learning how to prepare desserts that are sugar free and low fat. So it's not like I'll never have something sweet again. I've been enjoying sugar free jello with a little lite cool whip. Sugar free pudding with a scoop of protein powder and cool whip. These all satisfy that craving, so watching Scott eat a regular cookie or some ice cream isn't a problem and this is good, very good.

Still, I notice there is a tinge of mourning in this for the loss which is normal. However, the benefits of the life saving gastric bypass surgery I had makes those feelings and thoughts pass quickly...

4 comments:

  1. Andrea,

    So happy to read that the surgery went well and you are on the mend physically and emotionally. Wishing you well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through the mourning too. That was 4 years ago. I lost 97 lbs, have gained about 25 and am fighting them off now. Stop by my Lifestyle blog for some pointers. I need to remind myself of these things again! Sherry at rustiquetoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, thank you so much for your support. It means a great deal to me. On the 8th day after surgery I feel great. Each day is better then the day before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rustique Gal, thanks so much for stopping by to read my blog. I am curious what your path to it was? Congratulations on your own weight loss and journey. I will for sure check out your blog of some pointers. You can do it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete