My Photo

My Photo

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Importance of Being Kind to Yourself in Recovery

I've been think a lot lately about the importance of being kind to myself as I continue to heal from my eating disorder. Though I no longer eat in a disordered way. I am no longer obese and I am healthy, I find that it is easy to still think in a disordered way. And, that it is oh so easy to relapse in my thinking and starting being too hard on myself.

I've been a very slow loser in terms of weight for a variety of reasons including I was a lightweight to begin with, the lightest my surgeon had operated on at that time. I was a revision from a lap band to gastric bypass, which is another factor. I've struggled with trying to incorporate wine into my diet which I love but adds extra calories and a tendency to eat more then is needed.

I've taken to asking myself this important question, "Is what I am about to do in the best interest of my body, my health and my nutrition. If I can't answer yes to all three, then I don't do it. I find this is bringing me a peace that helps me put one foot in front of the other.

2 comments:

  1. What a simple and wonderful question you ask yourself in order to decide whether eating or doing something is going to be good for you.

    I just located your blog. Thank you for your willingness to share what has worked, and what has not, with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Spots, I just checked out your profile and see that you know the hell of recovering from issues with food. I am so pleased you found my blog and I thank you for posting a comment.

    It is a bit overwhelming knowing that I am sharing my story with the world, but it is also very empowering and more proof that there are many kind people in the world.

    I'd love it if you sign up to follow the blog. I am also writing a book about my experience and I'll be keeping people posted on the blog as to how it is going.

    I pretty new to blogging, so I'd be curious to know how you came across it?

    Have a great day and ask yourself this simple question. Is this good for me or not. Will it feed the cycle of shame of disordered eating? If it does, not feeding that cycle I find gives me strength. I hope it will you too.

    ReplyDelete