My Photo

My Photo

Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sexuality After Gastric Bypass

I watched a really interesting film on NetFlix on my Roku player last night called Sexual Healing, about four different couples working with a sex therapist to work on the issues in their marriages. One of the couples, the wife had gastric bypass and lost 100 lbs and found herself with a diminished libido to her and her husbands surprise. She had been sexually abused as a child and knew that part of the reason she got fat in the first place was to protect herself from men. This I can understand because in part this was my experience but for different reasons. I was not sexually abused, thankfully, but my maternal grandmother hated me and passed along bad attitudes about men along with her negative body image and eating disordered behavior to me.

This caused me a lot of trouble in the earlier years of my life including choosing bad partners when I was in my 20's. Relationships which I was able to end, but not without my own share of pain, but thankfully no children. I know I too got fat to protect me from men, but it also played a role in my choosing men that weren't good for me and met the expectations my grandmother taught me about. Thankfully in the end, I ended up marrying a wonderful man.

Still, I experienced this diminished libido until I figured out what was going on. Now, I am happy to say, that isn't a problem anymore. Part of recovering from obesity is to learn to love and appreciate ones body for all its joys regardless of how long you were overweight and protecting yourself from the world with the layers of fat that are no longer present.

Enough said for now I think. If anyone wants me to write more about this, just let me know and I will.

Make it a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment